Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Thursday 31 October 2013

Brisbane love x 2

Did you know that it is cheaper to buy a jar of marmite in Australia than in New Zealand?? What is that about????!!
We did a supermarket shop at their Woolworths and I know that this is not the cheapest Aussie supermarket but it was the one closest to the apartment. (Sebel Suites on Charlotte and Albert corners - awesome location ... Target about 100 metres away and the Queen Street Mall!)
Milk was cheaper, Dutch cheese waaaay cheaper, veges cheaper, salami cheaper - yeah - you get my drift! They think they are expensive - they need to come further down under!
Always buy Twinings Australian Afternoon Tea and Madura loose leaf tea. Sweet delight was finding Jamie Oliver tea towels - 3 for $8 which is fab to me. (not as cheap as IKEA - that is another post :) ).
Love supermarkets in other countries! Even if it is Australia!

Love the feel of the city. I have read for years that Auckland needs to be like Brisbane. Listen Mr Mayor. It does! Bikes to hire, cyclists being respected! A super walking city, cultural precinct with museums , galleries and theatres. The most amaaaazing inner city beach at Southbank which we visited every single day to swim in . (what is it about the women there though spilling out of their bikinis? And such short skirts and shorts?? The heat I guess...?) QUT had a cool massive computer metres long n the wall with the Great Barrier Reef superimposed. 

So many places to go. Just walking. Dive bombing by magpies. Oops - had forgotten about that!
Gorgeous places to eat out at. (clear favourite of Ryan's - Vapiano - fresh pizza/ pasta place where you order with a swip card, they give you a little machine that beeps when your pizza is ready and you sit at tables with herb gardens/ pots growing at them to put on your pizza and yummy olive oils. And pretty cheap too.) 

Every time I go anywhere in Australia I always feel like I am home - I mean man, we only lived there for a year sorting out our Melbourne business and I have been back in NZ for 10 years now....
I guess I just like exploring places and that country is huge and you can just go and go and go... My kid's are big city boys and Auckland is not big to them!!!! They have travelled quite a bit for their age in NZ and overseas. Ryan wants to move to Brisbane now.

Books - way way way cheaper! Bought about 40 at good old Big W for school. And a few for myself.
Jamie Oliver's new one was $NZ24 (here $45 on special!); Tim Winton's new one same price and here $55!!!! The chapter books I bought for school were around $8-10 in $NZ - not quite half the price but close to it!!! I came home with piles and copies of the Luminaires for friends too. Stacks there!

Yeah. Great , great city - full of kiwis too and poor displaced Cantabrians!











1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Southbank - favourite place in Brisbane. When we visited last year for my sisters wedding we stayed in town, just round the corner from you. We spent loads of time walking along the river, at the Botanical gardens, shopping (I love Target) and just wandering........for miles. Had a gorgeous High Tea at a big flash hotel. Devine. Thanks for sharing your pics! xo

    ReplyDelete