Creative Chaos

Creative Chaos

Monday 5 September 2016

Art deco Napier






























Knit August Nights was held at Ahuriri in Napier. I had not been to Napier for about 25 odd years! It is New Zealand's outstanding art deco capital. In 1931 the city was virtually totally destroyed by an earthquake and so was rebuilt. We had a couple of hours to run around the city centre and really admire the gorgeous architecture. We had quite a few locals stop and chat to us and tell us the history of particular buildings etc - everyone was so friendly. I love cities like this. Everything has been kept so beautifully and it is a lovely tidy city too. I'm taking the husband back one day - I was that impressed! It is only an hour flight from home (or a 6 hour car drive).
The Pania of the Reef statue was fab to see - I vaguely remember her from my childhood too.
It was so great to visit somewhere that I had not been to for so long! I've certainly seen quite a bit of New Zealand this year.
Locals tell me the best time to visit is the Art Deco weekend held every year.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds such a friendly place as well as interesting. It's a shame you didn't have more time to explore but it will give you a reason to return with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the mermaid statue! So beautiful :) what a pretty place to be and I love art deco style. Hope school is treating you kindly!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a beautiful city. When we were there people were dressed up and they had the old cars out. I think you could hire them and be taken for a drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like such a fab place, I hope you get to go back x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely place! I hope you get to go again and spend longer there. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the art deco style. We have quite a few here in Glasgow, but not a whole town! How encouraging that the locals are proud of their town, I like that x

    ReplyDelete